The petition for dispensation to form a Lodge at Plattsmouth, though not dated, was signed on January 1, 1858 by the following Brethren: E. A. Donelan, D. H. Wheeler, Thomas K. Hanna, William Slaughter, J. C. Cummins, J. Minchell, L. W. Marshall, J. Harper, Enos Williams, W. H. Bassett, and William B. Porter. The petition was presented to M∴W∴Robert C. Jordan, the Grand Master of Masons in Nebraska, on January 18, 1858. The disposition was was issued by him at Bellevue and delivered in Plattsmouth that same day. However, the petition lacked the formal recommendation of the nearest Lodge, Nebraska Lodge No. 1, which is a pre-requisite. This recommendation was obtained on January 26, 1858.
The first meeting of Plattsmouth Lodge No. 6 was held on February 20, 1858 in the Hall of the Tootle & Hanna Building. At the first meeting there were 10 men present, nine of which are known by name. The first Officers were installed by M∴W∴William D. McCord, the Past Grand Master of Iowa and served as the Deputy Grand Master to install the Officers. The other eight men were:
Under dispensation, A. H. Barker was the first initiate, receiving the entered apprentice degree on May 4, 1858.
On June 2, 1858, the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Nebraska, granted a charter to the original eleven petitioners and M∴W∴William D. McCord as charter members for Plattsmouth Lodge No. 6 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. June 7, 1858 was the first meeting under the Charter. Officers elected and appointed for the ensuing six months were:
These officers were duly installed July 5, 1858, as the first regular officers of the Lodge under the Charter.